- 1.5 cups basmati rice, 300 grams
- 1 cup water for soaking rice
- 150 grams cauliflower, 1.5 cups medium cauliflower florets
- 90 to 100 grams potatoes, 2 medium potatoes or ¾ to 1 cup chopped potatoes
- 90 to 100 grams carrots or 1 medium to large carrot, ½ cup chopped carrots
- 2 cloves/laung/lavang
- 8 to 9 button mushroom, sliced or chopped, (optional)
- 2 green cardamoms/hari elaichi or choti elaichi and other garam masala
- 5 cups water
- ½ tsp salt or add as per taste
Take a deep bottomed pan. add 5 cups water and heat the water on a high flame.when the water becomes hot, add all the spices and salt – 1 tej patta, 3 green cardamoms, 3 cloves, 1 black cardamom, 1 inch cinnamon.bring the water to a boil. then add the rice.just gently stir with a spoon or fork, after you add the rice.do not reduce the flame and continue to cook the rice.the rice has to be 75% or ¾th cooked. the grains should have a slight bite to them when cooked. the rice should not be fully cooked but almost cooked.
In a pressure cooker or a pan, heat 3 tbsp ghee. add the following spices – 1 tsp shah jeera, 1 tej patta, 3 green cardamoms, 3 cloves, 1 black cardamom, 1 inch cinnamon. sauté the garam masala till they crackle.